Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Panda Express Orange Chicken

When I was in college I had a roommate always get Panda Express Orange Chicken and I always wanted it. But being a poor college student I couldn't afford to get it, instead I found a recipe for it and I think it taste even better and I know what is going in it. It's one of my favorite recipes, but it does take some time to make, but it's so worth it.

2 lbs chicken
1 egg
1 1/2 t salt
white pepper
vegetable oil
1 T cornstarch
1/4 c flour
1 T minced ginger
1 t minced garlic
dash of crushed red chilies
1/4 c chopped green onions (optional)
1 T rice wine
1/4 c water
1 t sesame oil
1 T cornstarch

Cut chicken into 2 inch squares and place in large bowl. Stir in egg, salt, pepper and 1 T oil and mix well. In a gallon size baggie mix 1 T cornstarch and flour. Pour chicken into bag and shake until chicken is coated. Heat oil in wok to 375. Add chicken pieces, small batch at a time, until golden and crisp. Remove chicken and drain on paper towel. Clean wok and heat 15 seconds. Add 1 T oil. Add ginger and garlic and stir fry until fragrant. Add chilies and onions. Add rice wine and stir 3 seconds. Add orange sauce and bring to boil. Add cooked chicken. In a separate bowl stir water and 1 T cornstarch until smooth. Add to chicken. Stir in 1 T oil and sesame oil. Serves 4. Serve with rice.

Orange Sauce

1 1/2 T soy sauce
1 1/2 T water
5 T sugar
5 T vinegar

Mix well together.

No comments:

Post a Comment