Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Cafe Rio Pork Barbacoa & Rice

Cafe Rio is a hit in Utah and is making a hit in Arizona and Nevada. This is one variation of the recipe for their pork barbacoa which can be served either on a tortilla or as a salad. It's a hit with my husband, who doesn't like Mexican food. I usually cut the roast in half and only cook half of it and that makes enough for about four people or two with leftovers.


Pork Barbacoa


Boneless Pork Roast
1/4 c brown sugar
8 oz tomato sauce
black pepper
chili powder
garlic salt
chopped fresh cilantro
green chilies (optional)
hot sauce
minced onions (optional)

Trim off excess fat. Rub roast generously with spices. Place roast in crock pot. Add chilies, tomato sauce, brown sugar and cilantro. Cook for 5-6 hours on high, or until tender. Add hot sauce. Pull pork with two forks until shredded. Serve with tortillas, rice, beans, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and lime sauce.

Rice

4 cups water
4 t chicken bouillon
4 t garlic, minced
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 can green chilies
3/4 t salt
1 T butter
1/2 onion
2 cups rice

Blend cilantro, green chilies and onion together in food processor. Place in rice cooker with all other ingredients. Cook until done.

Lime Cilantro Sauce


1 lime
cilantro
dash of hot sauce
1/2 pkg dry ranch dressing
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup sour cream

Chop cilantro. Place in food processor and add buttermilk, sour cream and ranch mix. Add more sour cream if needed. Add lime juice and hot sauce. Blend well.


3 comments:

  1. my family loved this! two thumbs up, Mal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear friend, you have read my mind. I went on a search for this recipe last week for Sunday dinner. I should have checked your blog. I would have had an easier search. I did find a recipe thought that I tweaked to pretty much the same thing you have here. See, great minds think alike! Little Alma asked for tacos every breakfast, lunch, and dinner for the next week. Since big Alma was gone and I didn't feel like cooking, I indulged him (and myself!). I'll try your recipe next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this today, and it was awesome. Very good recipe. The dressing is practically the same! I did make only one change, I added more brown sugar, about 1/2 cup instead of 1/4. I didn't think the pork was as sweet as cafe rio without it. Everything else was fabulous! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete