Saturday, June 6, 2009

California Veggie Sandwich

With summer here I like to keep my meals light and flavorful. I discovered this meatless sandwich and really enjoyed it. It calls for grilling but since I don't own a grill I changed it and did it in the boiler. I also added the marinade and asparagus, since I didn't have yellow squash and I don't care for onions. The recipe calls for focaccia bread but I did asiago cheese bread. I added a side of a sliced mango. It was a perfect summer dinner.

1/4 c miracle whip, or mayo
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T lemon juice
1/8 c olive oil
1 c sliced red pepper
1 small zucchini, sliced
handful of asparagus, cut
1 small yellow squash, sliced
bread of your choice
1/2 c feta cheese

Marinade
1/2 c brown sugar
4 1/2 T soy sauce

In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, minced garlic, and lemon juice. Set aside in the refrigerator for one hour. Mix brown sugar and soy sauce. Marinate vegetables in mixture. Preheat boiler.
Cook vegetables in oven for about 15 minutes, or until tender. Spread mayo mixture on slices of bread and sprinkle with feta cheese. Place bread on separate baking sheet and place in oven until cheese melts, watch to make sure bread does not burn. Remove and layer with vegetables. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment